This volume is a thematic study of the work and ideas of Periyar E. V. Ramasamy. It analyses Periyar's emancipatory, irreverent and revolutionary critique of religion using the idea of 'political atheism'. Drawing extensively from Periyar's own writings, contemporary accounts of Dravidian politics and the theory of Anarchism, this groundbreaking study provides a new perspective on Periyar's engagements with religion, caste and their collaborations with the state. Periyar is not just a new appraisal of 'Periyarism' but a reminder of its continuing significance in global conversations on justice, equality and liberty.
Karthick Ram Manoharan is Assistant Professor, Social Sciences, at National Law School of India University, Bengaluru.
1. The Complete Rationalist as Anti-philosopherIntroducing Periyar
2. Political AtheismMarxism, Anarchism, Periyarism
3. Ramasamy and the RamayanaPeriyar’s Approach to Hinduism
4. Emancipation through Conversion?Periyar, Islam and Buddhism
5. Conclusion: Periyar for Our Times
Glossary of Select TermsTexts for Further Reading